Friday, July 14, 2006

Foundations for Our Beliefs

Last night I went to a worship service led by some great and godly men. One of the songs featured was a classic "Pass Me Not". We sang, "Savior hear my humble cry, while on others you are calling, do not pass me by." It is a beautiful song that people really enjoy. It brings back memories from my childhood. But I wonder how often we sing songs like this that often subtly reinforce bad theology. Is it true that God calls on some while neglecting others? Do we have to beg him to give us some attention to make sure he doesn't pass us by and that we get our fair share?

I know it may seem like I'm making a big deal out of nothing. But these ideas subtly shape our understanding of God.

Then the speaker (a great man of God for whom I have great respect) began his teaching with a passionate introduction proposing ideas that were dear to his heart. There is no scriptural support for anything that he said. Now don't misunderstand, these ideas were not bad. They were just personal opinions and values that he and most of the crowd shared. This led to a large round of applause (the most energy the crowd showed the entire evening).

The night before, we attended a worship service where the speaker spent 30 minutes teaching doctrine that most in the room could agree with...but yet again, there was no biblical support provided to back up what he was saying.

Draw your own application from these observations. Do you know whether the songs you are singing and the beliefs that you hold are from the Bible? As a pastor, there are times when it can be difficult to have people question or challenge my position on things. And yet I am thankful to lead a church filled with people who don't just take things for granted. What foundation are you building your beliefs upon?