Monday, July 03, 2006

Hawk's World

Today I spent the entire day in the hospital with a most amazing family. They have a 3 year old boy with Leukemia who has been battling for about a year and a half. Things are not going well and they are preparing to start another massive round of chemo, all the while trying to fight off chronic disease in his lungs.

I wholeheartedly believe that God can heal. I've seen Him do amazing miracles. Yet I admit that on a day like today, I struggle with what words to pray.

I don't understand why God allows these things to happen. But I often see the results of his work in people who live through great trauma. There seems to be a deep well of strength that exists in people who have found it necessary to depend on God for their very breath.

Is it true that spiritual muscle is only built through trial and faith stretching experiences? If so, I spent the day with 2 parents who are becoming some of the strongest people I know.