Monday, December 03, 2007

new running shoes

The weather has been really nice this fall. This weekend was the first of December and the weather was 70+ degrees. You would think that the conditions would be great for cycling. And Saturday I did get a chance to mountain bike on some aggressive trails (I only tumbled like 3 times!)

However, from day to day it is frustrating to see how quickly darkness approaches. Alabama is at the very beginning of the Central Time Zone. It is literally pitch black outside by 5:15pm. And the roads around here are not such that cycling after dark would be a wise thing to do.

Compounded by the fact that my schedule, has not allowed alot of time for it, I have not been getting hardly any time in the saddle. The result? My lack of fitness has made me feel pretty "blah".

So in the last 2 weeks, Tracy and I have tried to do a little running/jogging. This is a first for both of us. I have never owned a single pair of running shoes in my entire life. But I had been saving up my birthday money and that's what I ended up buying.

Running is something that we can do after dark. The dog enjoys the leash time. We can circle around the neighborhood (with cell phone in hand) and the kids are fine at home (Kate's a pretty responsible young lady). And I especially like that it is something we can do together.

We'll see how it goes. I don't expect to run (or even walk) any marathons any time soon. But at least the dog is enjoying the exercise!