Saturday, November 25, 2006

happy feet makes sad

We love a good family movie. I know that many families at Faith were buzzing with anticipation over the new movie "Happy Feet". On the surface it is marketed as charming, funny and right on target with the type of film that most families enjoy.

Fortunately I checked a review from the perspective of other Christians before taking the family. Click here to read it: Christian Spotlight on the Movies

Needless to say, this is a movie we will NOT be seeing with the kids. Today I had a great conversation with Kate (9) and Seth (6) about 1 Corinthians 5:21-11 "Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil."

As parents, we have a huge responsibility to develop children with a strongly developed "filter". But how about adults? How are you doing with your filter? Do you just absorb culture as a sponge...or do you continually test everything?

"Happy Feet" is a movie I plan on seeing sometime (even though I hate giving my money to Hollywood, which encourages them to continue making these things). I often find it important to absorb things that remind me of how the world views Christians.

But I'm definitely not ready to take my kids to a penguin-themed discussion starter on sexual promiscuity in a movie that potrays our faith in God as ignorant and the source of destruction in this world.