Monday, July 09, 2007

different feelings


This is such a strange feeling. Tracy and I have never before been in this position. I've never resigned as a senior pastor (I've also never been fired, which I guess is a good thing!)

The people of Faith Church have raised us. I was 21 and Tracy was 19 when we began here with a small group that mostly consisted of retirees and older folks. For the most part, the fears of people being angry or hurt have not been as a drastic as I perhaps anticipated. In fact, it is comforting to know that people don't want you to leave...it sure beats the alternative of people rejoicing to get rid of you.

And while it is a strange feeling, it also "feels right". We have no idea whether the people in Tuscaloosa will welcome us with open arms. But we have this deep peace and an abiding assurance that we are acting in obedience to the Spirit's leading.

Some people seem to have a direct pipeline from God. They often claim that God has spoken to them in a clear and audible voice. I can't claim to always be that certain. I believe that God often reveals his will through the Word and the community of discerning believers. But this is definitely one of those times when I feel a very strong sense of direction (even compulsion) from God.

If you are reading this today, and you are a praying person, I would really appreciate your intercession. Would you join Tracy and me in praying for these 3 things:

1) Our family visit to Tuscaloosa on July 22nd. May God prepare the way and make His will crystal clear to both us and the people of First Wesleyan Church.

2) The sale of our home. The market for real estate is rough in Lansing. But God owns it all, and we trust that He will work it out in His own perfect timing.

3) The future of Faith Church. There are some great prospects for senior pastoral leadership who might be very interested. This is the most amazing church and it deserves nothing less than the best. We trust that God has even greater plans than could be imagined. May God's Spirit bolster the spirit of His people at Faith and may our optimism be undying.

Thank you for your prayers! We'll keep you in the loop.