Friday, March 09, 2007

you too?

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You too? I thought I was the only one!"
- C.S. Lewis

There are many people who are impressive and seem perfect. There are those who I desire to learn from and who challenge me to grow. But I think Lewis is right when he talks about what bonds us to another person in friendship. It is that sense of commonality. You just seem to "get" each other.

I think that's why Jesus made such an impact in people's lives. He was able to look into people's lives and empathize with what they were going through.

Dale Carnegie always talked about this. It is a bedrock truth that you can make more friends in a day by being interested in other people, than you can make in a year by trying to get other people interested in you.

I think back on countless conversations I've had where, I must confess, my subtle (or not so subtle) goal was to be impressive. Isn't it ironic that the more you try to impress, the less impressive you actually appear?

And yet, if I stop and think about those whom I truly consider to be a friend. When I think about the people I like to be around and have in my life. They're not people who are trying to impress me. They're people who have given me reason to suspect that they might actually LIKE me.

Do you wish you had some close friends?

Here's a suggestion. Make the choice to begin to enjoy other people, and they will begin to enjoy being around you. When you give people reason to suspect that you actually like them (not for anything that they can do for, but just to like them for who they are)...I believe that you will find yourself having more friends than you can handle.