Tuesday, December 19, 2006

getting more stuff


It is almost Christmas Day. It is the time when presents are exchanged and we end up with more stuff that we don't need, presented by people who spent money that probably should have been used to get out of debt or giving to causes that really matter. And yet the cycle continues.

I don't mean to sound like a Scrooge. I'm really not. And I love giving and receiving presents. It's fun and it brings joy to give to those that you appreciate. And it feels great to know that others are giving as an expression of appreciation to you.

But I think it is important for all of us this Christmas season (and all year round) to evaluate our financial priorities. In what ways are we blessing God and advancing His purposes in the world through the finances he has entrusted to us?

It is so exciting to me when I see people experiencing freedom through our financial guidance ministries at Faith Church. The "Good Sense" and "Financial Peace University" classes are an amazing avenue for equipping people with the tools to do more than just survive...they're learning to thrive! I'm so glad for people like our instructor, Dave Shanks, who have a heart for helping people on their journey.

I hope we have a great crew for the FPU class starting this winter. Call the office or check the UPCOMING page on our website (www.lansingfaith.org) for more info.