Tuesday, October 24, 2006

too serious?

Do you ever grow weary with those who take themselves far too seriously?

One thing I find odd, is how often Christians brandish their titles and degrees and positions and accomplishments as a badge of honor. How often do we demand respect, and feel that we must get all that we deserve (and more)?


Isn't this something we all struggle with? God has called us to servanthood. Whenever I wonder how I'm doing at that calling, I just ask, "How do I react when someone treats me like a servant?" In those times when I don't want to be treated like a servant, it is a harsh reminder of how much room for growth there is in my journey to become like Christ.

1 Corinthians 1:26-31

Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth (some perhaps, but not most). But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things--and the things that are not--to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God--that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: 'Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.'